Victor Valley 4 Wheelers
May 20, 2019, 03:38:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO THE VICTOR VALLEY 4 WHEELERS' FORUM!            Victor Valley 4 Wheelers meet to conduct club business at Victorville Motors upstairs the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM. Members and those interested in joining the club are encouraged to attend.

Victor Valley 4 Wheelers meet to socialize at Pasco’s Pizza in Hesperia for Meet and Greet Night the third Tuesday of each month from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. Members and those interested in joining the club are encouraged to attend. Come join us for pizza!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun in the Desert 2018  (Read 771 times)
ROXRHRD
VV4W Club Member

« on: October 15, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »

I'd like to thank all thous who participated in this years FITD under adverse conditions. Who would have thought 15 hours of rain would have turned Means Dry Lake into a real wet lake. I can't thank my club members enough for their effort to pull off the event. We got some participates out on a trail ride, we fed them and had another great raffle.

Thanks
VV4W
President

Al & Karen B.
Old YJ
President

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »

I have to take this time to apologize to the whole club for not being able to attend Fun In The Desert. I guess I did not plan for my own transportation maintenance very well. I thought I had it all together and I was starting to roll out Thursday morning. How ever the plans changed real quick, the motorhome came up with a couple of problems that I could not ignore. The repairs did not get finished until Saturday. We all planned and worked so hard to pull this event off and everything was starting to shape up. I so wanted to be there and be a part of everything. Then a rain storm rolled thru. I received a few reports that it was total kayos Saturday morning. But the troopers that you all are, you pulled off a run and meals and the raffles. I could not even drive my Jeep out due to it breaking down the previous weekend.

Well for me I need to pick myself up and get ready for the next event to try to attend. This Tuesday is the meet and greet at Pasco's Pizza. I will be there hoping to see each of you and to listen to your stories and all the details of Fun In The Desert.

Tom Witt 

Tom Witt, President VV4W
edsredx
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:19:24 AM »

i would like to say thanks also to the people that went above the call of duty Kirk who got up at 3:30 am and put up a canopy so we could cook breakfast Ruth who helped my wife Peggy get the kitchen ready and take the coffee to her RV to make because the rain kept knocking out the power. Im very proud of all the kitchen staff Julie this includes you even Matt helped dry off tables and chairs these people are my heroes for making my job easy    THANK  YOU

BIG Wheel Eddy
randyvw
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »

it was an epic weekend. we set up our camp near my victor valley 4 wheelers, so we could help with our "fun in the desert" event we have every year. we went to sleep friday night knowing there was a "40% chance of rain". at 12:15 i awoke to my tent rainfly being whipped by 20mph winds, and some rain making it inside the tent, however small amount it was, it concerned me. so i put on my fleece and poncho, and shoes, and tried to go back to sleep. i was awakened at 415am to my assistant scoutmaster saying "we gotta go, there's 2 inches of water in all the tents". so i get up and step out of my tent into 5 inches of mud, and it's still downpouring. i think it was raining the whole time. i look at my phone weather and it says 100% for next hour, 90% for the hour after that, and 80% for the next hour, a total of ANOTHER inch of rain,(somebody said it rained 3 inches) so it's definitely serious. we WERE camped on a dry lakebed, afterall. so i get in the jeep and drive toward the road out, to assess the situation. i see a stream running out of that exit, and into that lake that is right next to our camp, so it's expanding by the minute. so i suggest they throw all gear onto my jeep trailer, so we can escape the now WET lakebed. and i could see it was time to get all vehicles off the lakebed, before it became impassable, although i had serious doubts at that point that we COULD get them moving. luckily, we had 4 out of the 5 vehicles were 4 wheel drive, and the 2 wheel drive was one of the first to make it off the lake. the scouts did an admirable job of breaking up the camp and loading it on the trailer, even though they were cold and wet. at that point it was important to get on home to dry out and warm up. but i had a run to help with at 830, so i couldn't go home just yet. so i sent my truck and trailer with a parent, and stayed there. the next couple hours were spent pulling motorhomes out of the mud to higher ground on that lakebed. it rained until around 11am. by the time i got back from my rungroup, the lake had already started to recede. it was quite an adventure, and there WERE some lessons to be learned.
find the high spots to camp on
we can't depend on the weatherman, be it calling FOR rain, or saying it WON'T rain. they can sure be wrong.
we get so used to the weatherman usually being right, that we become complacent
have warm clothes, in a trashbag, that can double as an extra raincoat, if yours gets wet.
waterproof boots
i saw a lot of plastic bags on shoes too.
a REAL raincoat can really be a big difference
point vehicles toward the exit, some were pointed toward the lake that was forming, which made for some anxious moments, whether we could get them turned in the right direction.
pull the plug earlier, i knew it was raining quite a bit, and i should have gotten up and checked the ground around us.
stow everything away,into trailers and under tables so if it DOES rain, it's protected(this WAS done, so made things a lil easier)
clean and dry everything right away, or it will be a big mess that's harder to clean up
in the end, it was just a comedy of errors, and i hope my scouts don't think it's always like this when it rains. we had 3 brand new scouts, that have never camped(with us at least), and i hate to think they might quit because of this one. camping, or hiking in the rain doesn't HAVE to be like this, it can be fun, if prepared. but there was little we could have done to be prepared for this one, except for finding higher ground. MY tent was fairly dry, even though i was having the most trouble with that rainfly in the wind.i did have a great run to bullfrog/cakewalk, so thanks to all those that helped out...good times! and thanks to everybody that pitched in to make the event happen......that was pretty much every member!

Lead, follow, or get the h*ll out'a the way.....and remember what mark twain said "if you don't read the internet you're uninformed....if you DO read the internet, you're misinformed."
randy w.
dezertdog
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:14:53 PM »

Cold and wet, I still had a great time.
Thanks for taking point on Bullfrog/Cakewalk Randy.
It was fun tailgunning with our group.
The food was great!, the raffle was great! as was the run.
Looking forward to next year.   ..But on a "dry" lakebed.
Thanks everybody!

'05 TJ  3:07's open/open 6 spd. 4.0
2" suspension lift, 1" body lift  on 33's
TJ Matt
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 08:22:50 AM »

It was an interesting weekend for sure. Did anyone get any pictures ? If so post up.

JUST ANOTHER JEEPER

Kurts TJ
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »

It was an interesting weekend for sure. Did anyone get any pictures ? If so post up.

I uploaded a few in members only

No bad days...let's go wheelin'

Kurt & Rebecca
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: