Victor Valley 4 Wheelers
May 20, 2019, 03:37:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WELCOME TO THE VICTOR VALLEY 4 WHEELERS' FORUM!            Victor Valley 4 Wheelers meet to conduct club business at Victorville Motors upstairs the first Tuesday of the month at 7:00 PM. Members and those interested in joining the club are encouraged to attend.

Victor Valley 4 Wheelers meet to socialize at Pasco’s Pizza in Hesperia for Meet and Greet Night the third Tuesday of each month from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM. Members and those interested in joining the club are encouraged to attend. Come join us for pizza!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday n the Rodman Mountains  (Read 189 times)
Jeepin Klean

« on: March 04, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »

We had a fantastic day exploring the Rodman Mountains on Sunday. After meeting up for a tasty breakfast and some lively conversation at Richie's Diner, we immediately tortured our rigs on the most grueling terrain any Jeep can face; the freeway. The trek to Newberry Springs made me a little nervous that our day would be ruined by the notorious desert winds, as every passing of a big rig was test of driving skill, but we were rewarded for our tenacity with picture perfect weather once we were off the pavement. After navigating the pipeline road and a winding drive up a wash we reached our first destination; Box Canyon. This is the only passageway through the Rodman Mt. Wilderness and it was quite beautiful. The area is known for bighorn sheep and raptors, but we had to settle for swarms of butterflies; they were EVERYWHERE! Once we exited Box Canyon we followed the power lines east and headed down another wash to the site of the Silver Bell Mine. The remains of the mine made for some fun exploration and the rockhounds among us left with plenty of souvenirs. Leaving Silver Bell Mine, we thought that we would head to Silver Cliffs Mine, but after a series of (mis)adventures we decided to leave that for another day and headed to Surprise Tank, and lunch. This is a really great petroglyph site tucked inside the southern edge of the wilderness. It required a short hike, but the weather was still cooperating, so we fueled up our bodies with a variety of tasty vittles and stretched our legs. The site is pretty awesome, with tons of petroglyphs on the volcanic rock. From here it was time to make our way back to civilization, and our first glimpse of it was the array of radio and tv towers at the top of the mountain that called out to us for a visit. We snaked our way up the mountainside and accepted our reward of stunning views in every direction (and howling winds). The winds were our cue; our day was coming to an end. We made our way out of the mountains, skirting the western edge of Johnson Valley OHV area until we touched pavement in the late afternoon; what an epic day! Thank you so much to all who followed me blindly into the wilderness; Kurt, Rex, Jon and his lovely family. I honestly don't know that the day could have gone any better and I had a blast.

JASON
Mojave Dirtball
VV4W Member
VV4W Club Member

Never the Last Trail!

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »

I really like that area!  I am sorry I had to miss the run.

Never the last trail.
RWMWJK
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:41:23 AM »

Great views, nice opportunity to get out and were able to get most of the ride in before the wind decided to show up, but great selection and good times by all!

Rex and Mary
dzimmer
Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:16:05 AM »

Great report and pictures!

Don & Ann Zimmer
Kurts TJ
VV4W Club Member

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 12:41:10 PM »

Very nice and easy ride with great views 

No bad days...let's go wheelin'

Kurt & Rebecca