Author Topic: Starting upgrades on the XJ  (Read 5147 times)

Offline RG89XJ

• VV4W Club Member
Starting upgrades on the XJ
« on: May 12, 2020, 05:41:07 PM »
So, what do you do when you cant make a living because of the economic shutdown? Well, you spend more time online looking at jeep stuff and spend a bunch of money on parts to take your mind off of things. So I’ve got a lift kit, rock sliders, front locker, winch mount and winch, tires and wheels, and steering kit. Along with ball joints, axle u-joints, and seals for front. Some parts are starting to come in and others are being delayed for whatever reason. All the same I have a ton of work ahead. Started the teardown today. Hoping to tackle front axle first. I decided to replace everything because it is a 31 yr old jeep and it is just time. Wish me luck.

Offline Kurts TJ

• VV4W Club Member
Re: Starting upgrades on the XJ
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:02:27 AM »
Sounds like you have a big project ahead of you, I certainly wish you luck and good speed. I have thought of trying to do some improvements on my 97TJ but every time I think about it I get the goose bumps. I did get some new Tires which gave me a little better ride so my front end needs some work, perhaps next year. See you on the trail soon.
No bad days...let's go wheelin'

Kurt & Rebecca

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 06:08:38 AM »
I just completed an overhaul of the suspension on my 93YJ. New leaf springs, bushings, spring plates, U-bolts, pinion alignment wedges and shocks (still waiting for the front shocks to arrive).  I also replaced the lower steering column bearing and intermediate steering shaft. I then topped the work off with a new set of tires.  The old gal rides like new. Not like a 2020 Jeep but like a new 93 Jeep. 😜

I have been collecting parts for the last six months. The only good thing about the stay at home order is it gave me plenty of time to complete the project.

Good luck with your project!
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:20:01 PM »
Photos of completed project.
Never the last trail.

Offline RG89XJ

• VV4W Club Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 05:57:07 PM »
Nice to freshen up some things when you have and oldie. I already did a 2” budget boost and took it out a few times but spacers and shackles just made the ride horrible. Did keep the hitch off the ground a lil better then before. Should have front axle work done tomorrow. Still waiting on parts deliveries but i can only do so much at a time anyhow.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 07:38:02 PM »
Good to take your time anyway. Not only conserves energy but reduces frustration level too.  Also helps prevent mistakes and gives you time to double check every nit and bolt.
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 05:55:30 AM »
That is every "nut and bolt".  Typing on an iPhone is always frustrating.......... :D
Never the last trail.

Offline Mojave Dirtball

• VV4W Member
  • VV4W Club Member
  • Never the Last Trail!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »
You should consider post your build progress and photos under Builds on the main page.
Never the last trail.