Victor Valley 4 Wheelers
April 18, 2014, 12:54:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pipes Canyon and Onyx Mine Site  (Read 1410 times)
Mojave Dirtball
VV4W Member
VV4W Club Member

Never the Last Trail!

« on: April 21, 2012, 10:30:29 AM »

Craig O and I were joined by Mike and his wife in their Toyota for an easy day of wheelin' and exploring Pipes Canyon and the Onyx mine site.  With the recent storms and, having previous experience with snow on this trail, I suspected we might be in for some excitement..........I was not disappointed.  Let me say that I am glad I finally installed a winch on my YJ.  We used it and Craig's winch to keep the YJ from an undesired exit from the trail.  

As a side note, I used to run this trail over twenty years ago when you could start at Onyx summit and end at Pioneer Town for a great meal after a day of wheelin'.  This trail was originally an Indian trail and later a commerce route to reach the Big Bear area from the East.  Over a decade ago an environmental group (I am being kind here as I do not want to call them what I really think of them) purchased the land along the forest service boundary and closed the trail.  How is it legal for any group to buy up land and close an historic route cutting off an access route to OUR National Forest?  We have to fight to defend our rights to access OUR public lands!

Thanks to everyone who helped me keep the YJ "shiny side up"!  Use this link for a slideshow:
http://s527.photobucket.com/user/MojaveDirtball/slideshow/Pipes%20Canyon%20and%20Onyx%20Mine

Never the last trail.
982500h
VV4W Club Member

Bill Adelmann

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:34:11 AM »

Those are great pictures.  I'd love to drive this trail sometime.  Can you post the trail number or location so I can find it on the map?  I have no idea where Pipes Canyon is located. 

I agree--it's a shame environmental groups take such an extreme attitude of preserving the environment to the point they deny us the ability to enjoy its beauty w/o harming it. 

That snow patch brings back some memories.  Many years ago I purchased my first 4x4 (factory stock) and came upon an area not much bigger than that on a sunny California afternoon.  I figured I'd just put it in four wheel drive and blast right across it.  Due to inexperience and lack of preparednessn, 25 hours later I extricated myself from that "little snow" patch!  It's nice to have friends like Craig and the other members of the VV4W along for the drive.

Bill Adelmann (Temecula, CA)
2000 TJ/I6/NV3550/NV231(4:1)/38x13 Maxxis CC
9" hi-pinion, 5.29 w/ARBs/RubiExp ED-Long 4.5"
Mojave Dirtball
VV4W Member
VV4W Club Member

Never the Last Trail!

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »

Hi Bill:

From Big Bear, take Highway 38 toward Redlands. When you reach the summit (marked Onyx Summit 8,000 feet), make a left on Pipes Road.  I believe it is 1N01.  The road is not marked at the highway but it is right at the summit.  
GPS coordinates are 34.192179,-116.719253

Let me know when you are going.  I like this area and would not mind a return trip.

Jim

Never the last trail.
gomuddin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »

I had a great time Jim . The snow made for a fun day. This is a must do trail for eveyone.

click below for more pics
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Craig & Kerry O.
WOKNROX
VV4W Club Member

Let's go wheelin!

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »

I'll second a return trip...I grew up in the San Bernardino mountains so I'm always up for a chance to revisit my childhood playground ...

Lets go wheelin!!

Let's go wheelin!
Mojave Dirtball
VV4W Member
VV4W Club Member

Never the Last Trail!

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:06:57 PM »

I will be happy to go again just as soon as this heat wave is over.

Never the last trail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: